headus 3D tools headus 3D tools / 3D scans
Support Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
headus 3D scans

How do you make High Res UV Templates ??

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MRosenberg

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:32 pm    Post subject: How do you make High Res UV Templates ?? Reply with quote

Dear smart people, Wink

I would like to acheive this either in UV Layout or 3ds Max.
Any of your collective wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

I am trying to create a high res UV Template. 1080 x 7680
Its for a live video projection mapping project where my combined projector resolution will be that aspect.
The end result is content for 4 video projectors laid out 1 x 4, so I'd like my UV layout to have a 1:1 relationship between content and projection display.

In my limited knowledge in 3ds max, I am not finding a way to export a UV image that is even close to that size. Maybe someone here has a working way?

Or

Can I export such a high resolution image from UV LAyout?

Much Thanks!
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not 100% sure this is exactly what you are after, but here goes anyway ...

1) use a paintbox to create a square black image, 768 by 768, but add a 108 pixel wide white stripe down the left side. It doesn't need to be the same size as the final render, just the same aspect ratio, so that's why I made it 10times smaller.

2) load your mesh with UVs into UVLayout, then load up that pic you created as a Display Trace image.

3) open up the Pack tool and tick the "Use Trace Mask" option, and repack your shells. You'll only find this option in the latest release (i.e. v2.08.02). Everything should pack then into the 108 pixel wide white stripe.

4) open up the Move/Scale/Rotate tool, untick the "Local" option, enter 7.11 into the U and V scale fields, then click the Scale button. That will scale everything up then so it fills the UV square across, and 7 and a bit tiles vertically.

5) open up the Render tool, enter "1080" into the resolution, and click "Save" to render out the UVs to a series of 1080 square pics. You'll then need to load those into a paintbox to join them up into your 1080 by 7680 final image.

Phil
MRosenberg

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that does look like a way to work around what I'm after here.

And you're saying that that full template I piece back together in Photoshop will line back up as a whole material to my object? Just wraping my head around this process.
How did you derive the value 7.11 ?

I'm just surprised the ability to straight out export a large custom uv size image is not really available in 3ds max or uvlayout. It seems like something that should be there.

I appreciate your help!
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I'm confused now about what you're trying to achieve.

The reason why its not a simple matter to output an arbitrary high resolution image of the UVs is because its not normally part of the UV'ing work flow. Normally texture maps are powers of 2 and square, and they get mapped on to the 3D object, then the scene is rendered out to whatever resolution you want.

The steps I gave you above are if you want to show the actual UVs in your projection. But if all you want to do is the usual mapping of a texture onto your object, you dont need to render out the UVs. You just make the UVs as normal, pack them into the square, save out the OBJ, then load that into a 3D paintbox (eg zbrush) to paint on your texture.

Phil
MRosenberg

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Appreciate it, I also found another way to make large UV's

Once I export my smaller UV Image, I create a canvas in my paintbox program at the large resolution I want. I import my smaller UV image which is the same aspect as the new large canvas, and scale it up being sure to maintain aspect.

From there, I change my 3dmodel to the new larger resolution and the aspect remains the same.

Done! Cool
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: