headus 3D tools headus 3D tools / 3D scans
Support Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
headus 3D scans

Packing to 0-1 space / Function Keys & LMB Pick in Manua

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SuperSheep

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:13 pm    Post subject: Packing to 0-1 space / Function Keys & LMB Pick in Manua Reply with quote

I have a few questions;

How can I get a set of UV shells to pack within the 0-1 space ? At present, all or most of my UV shells are being placed in their own UV tile.

What is the LMB Pick option ? I don't quite understand what is being said in the manual ?

Are function keys saved when quitting and restarting UV Layout ? From what I've experienced, yes. I just want to verify ? Smile

Thank You
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"At present, all or most of my UV shells are being placed in their own UV tile."

Check which options you have ticked in the Pack panel. In particular, make sure you have "Dont Resize Shells" and "Lock All To Tile" turned off.

"What is the LMB Pick option ? I don't quite understand what is being said in the manual ? "

Some operations (like the Optimize All) can be made to work only on some shells if you pick them first. So the way to pick them is using the left mouse button (LMB), and under the Edit Preferences you can control whether that picking works in a similar way to Maya, Max or original UVLayout flavor.

"Are function keys saved when quitting and restarting UV Layout"

Yes! I personally have F1 mapped to the Optimize "Run For" button, so I can LMB pick a shell or two and just tap F1 to get them flattened quickly.

Phil
SuperSheep

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for answering the questions.

I like the hotkeys too, I wish there were a few more Smile You know what would explode UV Layout (explode for the positive Smile). For those that sometimes use pTex if you could control how pTex would be translated to UV islands.
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you show a pic of what you're after? I sort of know what ptex is, but not how UVLayout could help.

Phil
SuperSheep

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you probably are aware, Ptex requires no UV's. UV Layout could intelligently convert an object that has Ptex into multiple clean islands if the user needs more control. I can't show any screen shots, I could only describe. Smile

UV Layout reversing an object into a object with UV islands, that would make UV layout one intelligent program, the only catch is, if it's possible and how much work it would be for you. If you do decide I'm sending a open invitation that I'd like to beta test it Smile You probably get alot of request for that, everyone wants to beta test Smile
oesponda

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main problem about ptex is that each face has its own resolution, depending on the needs. Basically it's something similar to one shell per face, and depending on the needs of the user, each face (shell) is scaled to give it more resolution.

Don't know the format specifications, but I would say is not trivial to convert a ptex texture file to a uv mapped one.
SuperSheep

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oesponda wrote:
The main problem about ptex is that each face has its own resolution, depending on the needs. Basically it's something similar to one shell per face, and depending on the needs of the user, each face (shell) is scaled to give it more resolution.

Don't know the format specifications, but I would say is not trivial to convert a ptex texture file to a uv mapped one.

I forgot that each shell is is given it's own resolution, or something like it Smile
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"would say is not trivial to convert a ptex texture file to a uv mapped one."

There's no automatic conversion, but what would be possible I think is to add something to the Repaint tool. If you have a ptex mesh, you'd be able to load that into UVLayout to make UVs like you normally would, then repaint the ptex texture to make a normal UV map.

Phil
oesponda

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right. I was thinking on the benefits of ptex (per face resolution) and the implications of baking that to a normal uv: detail in faces with higher resolution would be lost.... unless you could (somehow) keep a relation between the face resolution in the ptex files and the local scale of those faces when unwrapping... (!) Now, that would be reeeeaaally cool and very useful for nonlinear workflows: Texturing artist would be able to start painting as soon as the model is ready, and at a later stage take care of the uvs if they are actually needed.

Anyway, just random thoughts.
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"keep a relation between the face resolution in the ptex files and the local scale of those faces when unwrapping"

You're a genius! That could actually work, and as long as I can work out how to read ptex files, setting up the local scales for the flattening would be easy.

Phil
SuperSheep

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's how you would translate PTex to UV's Smile
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: