headus 3D tools headus 3D tools / 3D scans
Support Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
headus 3D scans

UV Shell Boxes and Sizing UV Shells

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SuperSheep

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:48 am    Post subject: UV Shell Boxes and Sizing UV Shells Reply with quote

When I re-size a UV box with shells within, the shells don't scale to the size of the ' UV box' all that occurs is the 'packing' progress bar is shown. The end results are not a scaled 'box' with all the shells scaled as well, rather the 'UV box' is the same size as it was previously ?

One other thing, I want one UV island to match the size of another. When I check the size of one UV shell, suppose it's 88.26, and I select another UV shell it is the same size (88.26) how can it be, unless I can scale that accurately with my own eye ? Smile
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: UV Shell Boxes and Sizing UV Shells Reply with quote

"When I re-size a UV box with shells within, the shells don't scale to the size of the ' UV box' all that occurs is the 'packing' progress bar is shown. The end results are not a scaled 'box' with all the shells scaled as well, rather the 'UV box' is the same size as it was previously ?"

Yes, that's whats supposed to happen. Moving the box corner handles just adjusts the aspect ratio of that packing ground (i.e. whether you want them arrange vertically or horizontally or anywhere between). If you want to scale the entire group, use Space-RMB on one of the corner handles, the same way you'd scale an individual shell.

"One other thing, I want one UV island to match the size of another."

Doing it by eye is probably the easiest way. If you want it *exact* though, LMB select the two shells and click on the "&" button after "Fit To Sqr" in the Move/Scale/Rotate panel. That will scale both shells so they fit exactly within the UV red square, but then you'll need to resize them both (Space-RMB again) to get them back to a normal size.

Phil
SuperSheep

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: UV Shell Boxes and Sizing UV Shells Reply with quote

Quote:
"One other thing, I want one UV island to match the size of another."

Doing it by eye is probably the easiest way. If you want it *exact* though, LMB select the two shells and click on the "&" button after "Fit To Sqr" in the Move/Scale/Rotate panel. That will scale both shells so they fit exactly within the UV red square, but then you'll need to resize them both (Space-RMB again) to get them back to a normal size.

When I select the two islands that I want to have the exact size, all of my islands and 'UV boxes' grow to the size of the UV space (0-1) overlapping each other after 'FitToSqr', I doubt this is right ? If I continue with the '&' key all I get is all my islands overlapping with the 'red' color ?
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, my mistake, I didn't mean that you click the "Fit to Sqr" button first, I just meant for you to click the "&" button on that row only.

Phil
SuperSheep

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

headus wrote:
Sorry, my mistake, I didn't mean that you click the "Fit to Sqr" button first, I just meant for you to click the "&" button on that row only.

Phil

Thanks. Why is it when you do an operation like this the other islands turn red ?
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh, yes, I forgot about that! Its meant to do that, but that's because that tools is really used for other things, not exactly what you want.

Maybe a better way then is to look at the dimensions of the two shells, then use a calculator to work out the scaling factors, then you can enter those into the U and V values for the blue Scale button. That way you can scale the selected shell exactly so it matches the size of the other one.

Phil
SuperSheep

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

headus wrote:
Ahhh, yes, I forgot about that! Its meant to do that, but that's because that tools is really used for other things, not exactly what you want.

Maybe a better way then is to look at the dimensions of the two shells, then use a calculator to work out the scaling factors, then you can enter those into the U and V values for the blue Scale button. That way you can scale the selected shell exactly so it matches the size of the other one.

Phil

The size of two closely identical islands are always the same size when I check Sad I'll come up with something Smile
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you email me a picture of that? If I understand a bit better what your ultimate goal is, I might be able to come up with a smarter solution.

Phil
SuperSheep

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

headus wrote:
Could you email me a picture of that? If I understand a bit better what your ultimate goal is, I might be able to come up with a smarter solution.

Phil

Unless they are the exact size ?

Quote:

What other things ? Smile
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Size value you see there is the dimensions of the red UV square; its doesn't show the size of the selected shell.

Open up the "Pattern" tools and tick the "Show Flattened Stats" box. That will write the width and height of every flattened shell into the UV view.

Phil
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: