headus 3D tools headus 3D tools / 3D scans
Support Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
headus 3D scans

Stupid questions about upgrading...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TwoSheds

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:07 am    Post subject: Stupid questions about upgrading... Reply with quote

Okay I know I asked this about a year ago or so, but I want to make sure nothing has changed since then.

I'm currently using UV Layout v. 2.06.03 Pro, with the dongle.

My subscription ran out a couple years ago, I think in September 2010, and I want to upgrade to the latest. So is it still just 50 bucks or something around that price? I can't remember if there's a higher price for failing to renew while still on subscription.
I haven't renewed because I haven't been doing much UV mapping or texturing at all in quite a while now. A whole lot of modeling and animation and what little mapping I've had to do has been simple and UV Layout 2.06 has handled it all just great.
But now I'm starting on a new major project and I have many very high resolution models to map, so of course I want to get the latest and greatest UVL. Smile

And another question - I think I read that the newer versions support multi- core CPUs and are faster with processing and OpenGL? 2.06.03 is having a hard time with this current figure I'm mapping - nearly a quarter million quads.

Finally, since the time I bought UVL my email and payment details as well as my physical address have all changed. I'm hoping that's not a problem and I still have all my original receipts if it is - license number, activation info, all that might be needed if need be.

Thanks! Smile
GeoffRiley

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Stupid questions about upgrading... Reply with quote

TwoSheds wrote:
Okay I know I asked this about a year ago or so, but I want to make sure nothing has changed since then.

Yup it was here Laughing

Quote:
I'm currently using UV Layout v. 2.06.03 Pro, with the dongle.

My subscription ran out a couple years ago, I think in September 2010, and I want to upgrade to the latest. So is it still just 50 bucks or something around that price? I can't remember if there's a higher price for failing to renew while still on subscription.

Phil very generously allows us to resubscribe to the maintenance at $50 even after it lapses. Something that I wish a lot of other places would do - especially those that can go for more than a year without an update!!

Quote:
And another question - I think I read that the newer versions support multi- core CPUs and are faster with processing and OpenGL? 2.06.03 is having a hard time with this current figure I'm mapping - nearly a quarter million quads.

I've certainly noticed a marked increase in operating speed in recent builds; I haven't checked if it's because of multiprocessor use though!

Quote:
Finally, since the time I bought UVL my email and payment details as well as my physical address have all changed. I'm hoping that's not a problem and I still have all my original receipts if it is - license number, activation info, all that might be needed if need be.

You'll need to pm Phil all the details so that he can update your record before you attempt to renew I would think.

Hope that helps; I'm sure Phil will be around tomorrow to correct if I've said anything wrong. Very Happy

Kind regards,
Geoff
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again Geoff!

All I need to do now is to confirm that its $50 to renew your subscription for another year, even if your current one lapsed ages ago. To make that renewal, all you need to do is login to your uvlayout.com account and there's a payment link on the Support Details page. If you need a hand remembering what your login is, send me email.

The latest releases aren't multi-threaded, but many speed improvements have been made, so you should see a speed up. Having said that though, 250k polys is on the high side . If at all possible, split your mesh up into smaller pieces. You can now set a specific UV scale under the Move/Scale/Rotate panel ... see "Set Size" here ...

http://www.uvlayout.com/doc/User_Guide:_Move/Scale/Rotate

So that means you can process a large model in pieces, and the UVs across those multiple pieces will be consistently scaled.

Phil
TwoSheds

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Geoff and Phil! Very Happy

I just made the payment - it says it has to be checked first or something like that adn it might take 24 hours.

Anyway I'm glad I finally renewed and I can't wait to try out the latest.

Yeah, 250K is pretty heavy. I can't really split up this particular model any though, and it needs all the geometry it has.

It's not slow at all though, just not as fast as I'm used to being able to work, but I don't often work with such high res models.

Thanks again guys. Very Happy
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

" it might take 24 hours."

Yep, I put that there in case I'm on a plane or somehow away from net access. If you catch us during normal office hours (and you did :) then its much quicker than that. You should have just received a confirmation email about your renewal.

Phil
TwoSheds

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

headus wrote:
" it might take 24 hours."

Yep, I put that there in case I'm on a plane or somehow away from net access. If you catch us during normal office hours (and you did Smile then its much quicker than that. You should have just received a confirmation email about your renewal.

Phil

Awesome Phil, thank you! Very Happy

Seriously, I've always been amazed at the level of support and personal attention you give your customers. I wish more software developers had that attitude.

EDIT:

Got it downloaded and installed, spent a few minutes checking it out. Looks good. Very Happy

I wish it wasn't so late here though, no time to learn the new features tonight.

Thanks again Phil for your speedy reply and action. Very Happy
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: