headus 3D tools headus 3D tools / 3D scans
Support Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
headus 3D scans

Ubuntu 12.04; UVLayout 2.08 64bit; and the dongle....

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GeoffRiley

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:22 am    Post subject: Ubuntu 12.04; UVLayout 2.08 64bit; and the dongle.... Reply with quote

This feels strange - I'm usually the one dishing out help to others, I rarely come asking for it... however: I've come to a grinding halt on this I cannot seem to get the dongle to be recognised at all - clearly I'm missing something.

I spotted another post saying that it's not a driver that's needed, but rather the correct /dev/ entries, but I'm not finding it yet.

Phil? I got really excited when I saw your message in another group mentioning that the dongle was working.... now I'm feeling all flat. Laughing

Any help appreciated... otherwise I'll have to keep the Windoze machine running. Twisted Evil

Geoff
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Ubuntu 12.04; UVLayout 2.08 64bit; and the dongle.... Reply with quote

"I spotted another post saying that it's not a driver that's needed, but rather the correct /dev/ entries, but I'm not finding it yet."

Sorry for the confusion, but 99% of the dongles we ship these days are driverless (requiring the /dev/ tweaks) but you happen to have one of the original dongles that does need the HASP driver to run.

Actually, I cant remember now if my "the 64bit version now works with the dongles" statement applies to the old dongles. I'll check that a bit later today and will report back here with my results.

Phil
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I can confirm that our old style HASP dongles do work with the 64bit build of UVLayout. You can get the driver install from ...

http://www.uvlayout.com/hasp

... and I used the HDD_RPM_RedHat_i386.tgz one for my Fedora 13 system. I do have a Kubuntu partition somewhere here ... I'll boot that up to see which driver installer it needs ...

Phil
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news! I got a HASP dongle working under my Kubuntu 10 boot here. You'll need to use the new cross-platform driver installer script up on the above hasp web page. There's installation instructions inside the TGZ.

One thing to watch out for with UVLayout running under Linux in general, especially on nVidia cards, is that the graphics redraw can sometimes be really slow. In that latest UVLayout 64bit installer is a new preference under the GUI section. Set "OpenGL" to either "Double" or "Int" if you're experiencing slow redraws in the 3D window ... you need to reload your mesh to see what effect any change in the preference might make.

Phil
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and one more thing ... if you get "libtiff" or "libGLw" missing errors when trying to run UVLayout on your Kubuntu 64bit system, I've put copies of those up on the uvlayout.com Support Extras page.

Phil
GeoffRiley

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all that Phil - I'll get a go at it in the morning... um... later today. It's 6:30am UK time and well time I got to bed before I catch myself getting up. Rolling Eyes

I'll let you know how I get on.

Geoff.
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great thanks, no rush though. Try it all out whenever you're ready.

Phil
GeoffRiley

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it! Cool

Not entirely straight forward though; so I shall summarise what was require for Ubuntu 12.03 (64bit).

I checked first of that the ia32 support files were installed; I was pretty sure they were, but was surprised to discover that no package named ia32 was found. A little digging turned up that it's been renamed ia32-libs. Go figure. So first difference to instructions is:
Code:
sudo apt-get install ia32-libs

Once those support libraries are confirmed, unpack the HDD_Installer_Script.tgz into a temporary directory; this contains a readme.html file and a further archive named aksusbd-1.16.1-i386.tar.gz that will also need unpacking.

Checking the readme.html reminds us about the ia32 support... note that the readme doesn't mention it, but it assumes you're logged in as root - this is not generally a good plan, wherever possible take advantage of sudo.

If the dongle is plugged in take it out! The next step is going to modify the way that the system looks for usb peripherals, and if it's already plugged in it can cause system upsets when you take it out later.

Following the instructions again - running the installer within the aksubd archive will put all the files in the right places... if you're not logged in as root:
Code:
sudo ./dinst .

Note the dot right at the end - it is necessary for the script to find the source files.

This is where I needed to take a diversion again.
udev has changed a little in recent versions, so there's now a syntax error in the /etc/udev/rules.d/80-hasp.rules file.

If you attempt to plug in your dongle without any change to the rules file you'll see a few errors appear in the syslog, so before trying that here's a short script to sort out the syntax:
Code:
sudo sed -i -e 2s/SYSFS/ATTR/g /etc/udev/rules.d/80-hasp.rules

Now it's safe to plug in the dongle.

The readme suggests that the dongle firmware may upgrade, however I didn't see any activity to suggest that happened on mine.

Run headus to check that the dongle is begin seen.... Happy days!

This was a necessary step for me:
Lastly, before running up uvlayout, the extra libraries in kubuntu-missing-libs.64.tgz need to be copied over to the $HEADUS_HOME/lib - make sure they've both been chmod 755 because they're only chmod 700 in the archive.

All clear now to run up uvlayout.

Experiments with OpenGL flags to follow. Wink

Geoff
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the installation report! And its great to hear too that your dongle is now working finally under Linux.

Phil
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: