headus 3D tools headus 3D tools / 3D scans
Support Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
headus 3D scans

Visible Edge Padding

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dustinbrown

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:09 am    Post subject: Visible Edge Padding Reply with quote

It would be great if you could tick on visible edge padding for all UV shells, and set the padding to any value you want (usually powers of 2). That way if I don't want to use packing, and I'd rather pack things manually (which is often the case), I still have a visual way to confirm that I'm maintaining the edge padding I want. Maybe even have visible padding turn red in spots that intersect.
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would you prefer a visible feedback, or an actual barrier (i.e. something stopping you from moving the shells over the top of each other)?

Phil
SLI_Fallen

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

headus wrote:
Would you prefer a visible feedback, or an actual barrier (i.e. something stopping you from moving the shells over the top of each other)?

Phil

Though I am torn about increasing the complexity of the app with more buttons/settings/things to remember. I have to admit, in this case it might be better to make the (proposed) feature toggleable. Meaning when "auto space" is off the feedback on manual manipulation would show color coded when overlaps exist, (as referenced above) AND the ability to set the minimum auto spacing. This will allow the user greater control. IE: Set to auto initially to see what occurs (maybe within packing?) and then the ability to disable the auto-spacing and tweak if needed.

Just a thought....
dustinbrown

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SLI_Fallen wrote:
Though I am torn about increasing the complexity of the app with more buttons/settings/things to remember. I have to admit, in this case it might be better to make the (proposed) feature toggleable. Meaning when "auto space" is off the feedback on manual manipulation would show color coded when overlaps exist, (as referenced above) AND the ability to set the minimum auto spacing. This will allow the user greater control. IE: Set to auto initially to see what occurs (maybe within packing?) and then the ability to disable the auto-spacing and tweak if needed.

Sounds like you're saying you want both. Smile

Phil, I don't think I would want something that stopped me from moving shells around freely. It would feel too restrictive, and could cause workflow slowdowns. Say you decided you want to move a some shells around drastically to change the overall layout, or rotate shells. You would be bumping into the feature you're suggesting and you would frequently have to turn it on and off. I say stick with the lines I originally suggested. It's friendly and helpful, but stays out of your way when you want to man-handle your UVs. Thanks!
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a sneak peak of the new visible bleed feedback. There's no overlap detection or highlighting, haven't worked out a fast way to do it yet, but I might have a light bulb moment.

Actually, its proven handy already ... I've discovered that the bleed amount applied when using the auto packer is incorrect. I've been fiddling with the packing recently, so must have broken it! So because of that bug, I'll probably be uploading a new beta early next week that will include this new bleed feedback option.

Phil
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That packing bleed bug has now been fixed and the new beta is available from the Support Extras page. This beta includes the "Show Shell Bleeds" toggle in the Pack panel.

Phil
SLI_Fallen

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome!

And BTW, Just got my 3ds Max 2012 Subscription software and even with the "Enhanced UVW Unwrapping" it still cant hold a candle to UVLayout! (In fact some of the "new" features it's touting have been in UVLayout for a long time). Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery! Ha! Laughing
r_knightly

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

its a shame the new tools in max are plagued with bugs Sad.
uvlayout to the rescue Smile
dustinbrown

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil I apologize for this very late reply, but I wanted to say thank you for adding my feature request. It's very appreciated Smile
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: