headus 3D tools headus 3D tools / 3D scans
Support Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
headus 3D scans

Paint Priorities

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ivan.stukov

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:44 am    Post subject: Paint Priorities Reply with quote

A cool feature would be:

Before you drop / flatten to paint in 3d view the stuff that is important to you, the stuff that should be more towards the blueish spectrum and the rest can go automatically more towards the red and flatten takes that painted map into account.

Maybe an intensity slider that u can tell how red / blue the global values can get.
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting idea ... I've added it to the wish list so I don't forget!

Do you know about the Local scaling tool? Its shown in action in the "UVLayout-Local-Scaling" movie under the Advanced section of the uvlayout.com videos ...

http://www.uvlayout.com/videos-advanced

The idea behind it is that you flatten everything out first, and then scale the shells up and down to get the pixel densities that you want.

Phil
ivan.stukov

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah that works great if you have a seperate shell that has room to expand, but say you have something in the middle, (like in the kangaroo ear tutorial) cut it out scale up, localise, weld back and reflatten... it not always works because now some of the ear overlaps the rest and confuses the flatten and also now there is a fight between the inner and outer forces... and usually the outer ones win

if i do it the other way round:
scale the rest up instead of the ear i first of all dont know how much to scale since everythign gets blue and also that messes up all the other big shells, unless i scale them all at the same time, but that gets insane really quick.

but i guess maybe sometimes there just is no other way than to cut stuff out and keep it seperate
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"no other way than to cut stuff out and keep it seperate"

Anything that protrudes out (or in) is always going to be a problem. You either have to cut a dart in from the side, or separate the protrusion out completely, or accept that the texture is going to be distorted in that area.

Even though its an excellent idea, pre-painted weights wont help either unfortunately ... its simply a matter of the geometry ... you cant squash all those protruding polys down flat without consequences.

Phil
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: