headus 3D tools headus 3D tools / 3D scans
Support Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
headus 3D scans

Someone asked "What price for the final release?"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
groinc

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although Modo 201 does indeed have an unwrapper, the quality of the optimisation is no way near as good as UVlayout. The same goes for some of the Maya options as well as the free Pelting tool for Maya.
ukyo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

will there be an academic pricing? 250 is really steep for us who are already spending 20k a year in tution.
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukyo wrote:
will there be an academic pricing?

No. Are you doing a 3D course? Maybe you can talk your school into buying
some licenses.

Phil
The-G-Man

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my end of the string I think that

1) If an application saves you time, and you are comfortable with its workflow, then its a no brainer.

2) Whatever the price (unless it's completely outrageous) it will always be too much for someone. That's life.

3) NEVER use cracked versions. I've found, over the years, that buying an application is the relatively easy part. Getting quality support can be a problem. You only buy it once, but you may need support many times. Being able to deal directly with the author is a majour plus. This alone is worth far more than the cost of the application. One day, when you're against a deadline for an important client, and a wheel falls off, you'll be very glad of that support.

Now if UVlayout had a button which allowed me to get unlimited chilled Fosters out of my screen ... Smile
gottsbett

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the price just blew me off UVlayout. I could buy the new Silo 2.0 and have a uvmapper included for half that price. Wings3D has a UVmapping option and that is free. I am purchasing Zbrush soon that has a uvmapper that can handle high polys. Come on now! Check out Modo's soon new release with their uvmapper. You can not get any faster then that plus you get a whole modeling program.
Xena

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gottsbett wrote:
Well the price just blew me off UVlayout. I could buy the new Silo 2.0 and have a uvmapper included for half that price. Wings3D has a UVmapping option and that is free. I am purchasing Zbrush soon that has a uvmapper that can handle high polys. Come on now! Check out Modo's soon new release with their uvmapper. You can not get any faster then that plus you get a whole modeling program.

With all those mapping programs you won't need UVLayout then Rolling Eyes
gottsbett

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xena wrote:
With all those mapping programs you won't need UVLayout then Rolling Eyes

I do not have these programs. I do have they money to buy. I am shopping around for the best choice. The Program I am using now is Amorphium 3. It has no uvmapping options. I love this program for how easy, simple and fast you can model, but if you want to apply extraordinary texture to your models it can be a chore to get the models uvmapped due to the triangulation and the extreme amount of ploys the organic meshes use.

I am looking for a solution. That is how I found UVlayout.

As a potential buyer I will tell you getting someone like me to buy this product is unlikely. For the money UVlayout costs you could put it into a program that maps just as easy and get a lot more. Silo for example is still under $150.00.
Softimage's XSI basic is $500.00; yes it cost more, but look at what you get.

You also have some UV mapping software out there that works well and is under $60.00. Uvmapper Pro and UVUnwrap.

Lets not forget the free stuff. Blender, Wings3D and 3D Canvas all with easy uvmapping capabilities.

I hope headus realizes they are not going to be on a lot of computers unless they compete price wise.
Xena

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gottsbett wrote:
Silo for example is still under $150.00.

Silo currently has no mapping capabilities (I work with it every day) and the 2.0 release has been pushed back so there's no mapping in site 'yet'. I need an immediate solution that required no training to use and top notch results in the smallest amount of time.

UVMapper Pro is absolutely nothing compared to UVLayout. It maps via planar/box/cyclindrical mapping and does not in any way offer the flat mapping that UVLayout does.

My mapping now takes me a half hour, compared to 3 hours in UVMapper. And that is worth the $250 price tag.
gottsbett

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be man enough to admit I was wrong. Yes there is a lot of free UVmappers out there and some UVmappers included in modeling Apps. but...

...UVLayout has held up against some of my most difficult high poly organic meshes with only a couple of times did it stop responding.

46114 vertices
92224 faces

I have some more troublesome organic meshes to test with.

As for will I spend the bucks, I'll see what happens when I purchase Maxon's CINEMA 4D this month.

As for handling Amorphium's 3 high poly meshes, I say this WOW.
EnigmaMachine

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gottsbett wrote:
I will be man enough to admit I was wrong. Yes there is a lot of free UVmappers out there and some UVmappers included in modeling Apps. but...

Gottsbett, I think it's cool of you that you've acknowledged that there are other ways of thinking about competitive pricing.

I just purchased UVLayout at the pre-release discount price rather than wait any longer for Silo 2.0. While I absolutely love Silo's modeling workflow and look forward to purchasing the upgrade, I suspect that its UV features won't be nearly as robust and easy for me to use as UVLayout for some time.

I use 3ds Max 8 as my primary 3D package, including until recently, all of my UV mapping tasks. So, why would I buy an additional, dedicated UV mapping program when I already own a $3400 program that has complete UV mapping features? Increased productivity! I work much faster now, get better results, and actually enjoy the process. In my opinion, No other program, at any price, has made UV mapping as easy as UVLayout has. UVLayout is certainly a great value for many of us. It helps me now and effectivley paid for itself while still in beta!

A very satisfied customer.
gottsbett

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EnigmaMachine,
I must admit that I have not used UVLayout since I purchased XSI Foundation, not Maxon's CINEMA 4D like I intended. The reason is not becuase XSI is better, quicker or as fun as UVLayout. I am just dedicating myself to XSI and how it works.

UVLayout is still very much on my list to buy! I would have done it by now but my kids make me poor ! Shocked

Now if I could just find a dedicated displacement map painter without all the stuff I do not need I would be happy.
Geqfreq

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got in here. I have used Maya mostly but have now done some testing in Modo and can say that with Maya I was still sewing a good bit. In Modo, the laying out of uvs, sure it was quick, but there were a few areas still with a good bit of distortion.

I think if you are going to compare apples then Unfold3d is your closest bet. relatively the same price point... However judging by the UV pics its nowhere near as close to optimzation of this. I am truely impressed. Cool
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geqfreq wrote:
... However judging by the UV pics its nowhere near as close to optimzation of this. I am truely impressed. 8)

I'm not sure if you know or not, but you dont have to just judge UVLayout
by the pics; you can grab the free beta from www.uvlayout.com/try.

Phil
Geqfreq

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. Thanx Phil. Incredible program. Definitely going to pick this up. Cool
garycrump

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The price is Ok with me.
It may seem High at first but the main point to me is workflow.

Time is more important than money. The real professionals who sees this application benefits will buy it. I like the direction UV layout is heading.

Keep up the good work Phil
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: