headus 3D tools headus 3D tools / 3D scans
Support Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
headus 3D scans

Force quit causing load crash

View previous topic :: View next topic  
slash

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:57 pm    Post subject: Force quit causing load crash Reply with quote

Hello,

Ran into a small, bug and I'm not sure how much info is need to solve the problem but I've gone by the policy of the more the better so heres my scenario's.

I've been working with uvlayout to unwrap an environmental scene of a city. I've broken the scene down into city blocks and I'm attempting to unwrap each block individually. This has worked pretty well, but I've ran into a few instances that have cause the program to crash and then render my file broken.

Example 1:

I cut and drop all of the shells of the block and immediately after I drop the last shell uvlayout crashes. When I try t re-load the file, the load fails and I get a windows error ("headus core has stopped working").

Example 2:

I've dropped my shells I've started working in uv mode to flatten and arrange them on my map. As I have several shells I've been holding the "f key" down as I move my mouse over each shell to flatten as many as possible at once.

During this process I often click blank areas that brings up different flattening mode and this appears at the bottom of the screen ("LMB:flatten-box enter:abort") . At this point I can't exit this mode without pausing and clicking nothing (yes I have tried using enter to abort). Maybe I'm missing another command?

After a while pausing no longer works and I'm forced to stop the program (ctrl+alt_del). After this the file refuses to load and crash on load when I attempt to open in edit mode.

I've even attempted to send my files to friends to see if they can open the file and often they can access the file, but even when they have re-saved the files and send them back I still get the load crash.

I've even imported the obj's back into my 3d program and found all of the uv work I'd done was intact, but yet I still can't load the obj in uvlayout in edit mode to finish the unwrap.

What am I doing wrong?

Any help would greatly appreciated as currently I've more or less lost all my unwrap work for the corrupted files.

Thanks,
Zach
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds pretty bad! Which version are you using?

Phil
slash

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was originally using 2.05 but have since tried updating to 2.06 to no avail. I believe this problem may be related to this particular computer as I've since trying install uvlayout on a different computer and been able to access the "corrupted" files as well as several other colleagues have had no problem opening the files.

I was working on this project simultaneously with a colleague and we were using a online sync system to share the files (Dropbox). I'm not sure if this would have any effect on file compatibility or if the collaboration between multiple computers could have caused the problem?

While I have solved the problem by using a different machine to access the files, I still have no idea what would cause the program to crash/fail to load on my current system which is problematic as its my main computer.

Any help or suggestions you can offer would be greatly appreciated.
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

" I still have no idea what would cause the program to crash/fail to load on my current system "

Me neither!

When it crashes, do you get any messages other than the "headus core has stopped working" Windows alert?

If you copy the shared files to some other folder (eg C:/Temp) does that change anything?

Phil
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: