headus 3D tools headus 3D tools / 3D scans
Support Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
headus 3D scans

Edit and 3D view gimble lock?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TwoSheds

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:58 pm    Post subject: Edit and 3D view gimble lock? Reply with quote

I'm posting this here because I don't think it's a bug, but then again maybe it is... I don't know.

But sometimes in both the Edit and 3D view I get what I can only describe as gimble lock, only not exactly. Gimble lock is where you lose the ability to rotate on one of the 3 axes, but what's happening here is often each of the 3 axes seems to get locked in a way that I can only rotate 180 degrees on each.
In other words, picture a model facing forward. I can rotate the "camera" on the X axis, but only 180 degrees, and only in one direction.
On the Y axis, I can still do only 180 degrees, but in both directions, and can't really rotate in Z at all - more like a tumble in Z.

Is there some way of snapping it out of this behavior? Sometimes I can jerk it around a bunch and get it to pass what seems like some kind of a limit, and sometimes the Home key resets it, but it's really kind of random.

Thanks. Smile
SLI_Fallen

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Open up the Display button and then click on the "free" button. This will unlock all axis to full 360 rotations.
TwoSheds

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SLI_Fallen wrote:
Open up the Display button and then click on the "free" button. This will unlock all axis to full 360 rotations.

Thank you, that did the trick. Much obliged! Very Happy

It was set on Z. I guess that's a default, and I never noticed those buttons, or never thought about them.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: