headus 3D tools headus 3D tools / 3D scans
Support Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
headus 3D scans

I Recommend you Update the Interface
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keeper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:57 pm    Post subject: I Recommend you Update the Interface Reply with quote

Howzit Mate

I LOVE your program - Best UV Editor BY FAR!

Quick Story:
I needed some Utility to do UV Layouts and saw that your program was recommended - So I tried it. Well, like Most Software you need to learn it first. I didn't know what to do, looked at the interface, and thought "Hmm...looks like a stupid, low budget utility - this thing sucks." (BOY, WAS I WRONG)

I tried another UV Editor, a Plug-in 3dsMAX - not bad...but not good either. (Unwr....)

Well, after a few more recommendations of your Software, I Decided to try again and download some Tutorial Videos - My JAW was hanging open as I watched how easy your software makes it - BRILLIANT Workflow!

However - If I think Back, I wonder how many people opened UVLayout and thought "Nah, looks amateur - this thing won't be able to do UV mapping well"

UVLayout is AMAZING SOFTWARE, but it just looks outdated, and I think it's turning away a LOT of potential customers. trust me...

I love it so much that I thought I'd return a favor for you, and take my time to make a concept of what UVLayout could look like.
I bet If you maybe take a week or so and re-map the code to Nice BMP Buttons, and put it all into one window, you would have a BIG rise in people using your Software.

I'm telling you, it's brilliant software, but i'm sure everyone would like to use it with an updated interface.

Anyway, here's a Sample - what do you guys think? Wink

If you need buttons/etc, i'd be more than willing to design them for you.

Thanks for the AWESOME software - You turned the worst possible job in history (UV Mapping) into the funnest thing ever - kudos mate.

All the best,
Keeper.
BigErn

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree! I think it would just add some 'sexy' to UvLayout Wink Cos its all about that right?

I see why Phil hasn't bothered to do it, he said before about it being more hassle than its worth while it works so well etc? I think its such a valid point, if people were, and initially I was 'put off' by the 1990`s interface, I soon saw it to be nothing but a minor point.

I think something cross with yours and Softimage would be good though. I`m in no rush, but something skinnable would be great. (as long as it added no bugs! Laughing )
Keeper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mind, because it works so great - but for possible new users i'm not so sure.... i'd love to see it wrapped in a good looking interface though.

It would pretty easy IMO.

1) Move the Viewport into the Main Toolbar's Window
2) Replace buttons with BMP Buttons
3) Replace save, load & update with BMP Icons
4) Move the buttons apart a bit, so they aren't so cramped.

Surely that won't take more than a week?

Anyway - I'm pretty good at making solid interfaces, as I've coded a lot of programs myself - I'd be happy to create buttons/etc for Phil if he wants to Improve it. (For free of course)
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your feedback, and GUI prototype!

The reason why UVLayout has a 90's style GUI is because its all based on Motif code I wrote in the 90's. You'll also be pleased to hear that UVLayout is written in 90's style plain C, and all my graphics code is IRIS GL (it sits on top of a library that coverts the calls into Open GL). Oh, and I use 'vi' and 'make' still :-)

So yes, the outcome of all of that is that the final result looks dated. But by using old code I'm familiar with, I can spend more time on the interesting stuff ... the UV editing code. Eventually though, when the mechanics of the UV editing is sorted out, I'll definitely be looking at the whole GUI thing.

The Motif based code I'm using (which sits on top of Tcl/Tk under Windows) does support bit mapped buttons, so that would probably be the first step. What I'm anticipating is that the existing font based buttons would be captured into bitmaps, and then someone like yourself could go through and repaint the bitmaps however you wanted. I'd also export some parameters for each button (e.g. label, font size and overall dimensions) so that the repainting could be scripted. GIMP supports that sort of thing via Python or its inbuilt scripting language, so I'm guessing PS does too? I'd probably have to do the button repositioning here (i.e. provide the users with some alternate layouts to choose from), and then you repaint the buttons according that that.

"Surely that won't take more than a week?"

Actually a week of development time turns into about a month of real time once you add in things like emails, forums, phones, quotes, orders, tax returns. Its amazing anything ever gets done :-)

I do accept that some people might be put off by the GUI, but the hope is that one day they'll come back (like you did), and if that's when UVLayout looks modern and sophisticated, then that's OK.

Phil
Keeper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, lol - I thought it was almost complete! Laughing
OK, fair enough. I understand the Interface now so it's no problem for me.

when you DO make the interface skinable, will you be adding the view and controls into 1 window like the example above?

....you should really look into hiring someone to give support on UVL, so you can get to coding and coding only!
A coder must not be bothered, ever! (Unless if you have something, like coffee or something) Very Happy

Idea: Put all the buttons and controls into 1 BMP and that is the skin. like winamp used to do.... (If possible) maybe even a few Pixels at the top are used to read colors (Like Wirefame, mesh, cutlines, open edges, welding lines, background, selected,etc)
then we can make any skin we want and release it on the forum! Make it look like Soft Image/3dSmax/maya/ZBrush
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"will you be adding the view and controls into 1 window "

Not sure yet, but probably not in the short term. For various reasons, mostly historical, the GUI window and the graphics window are actually two separate applications; they talk to each other via text commands sent down a socket pipe thingy. Nothing is impossible, but getting those two things into one window isn't a simple thing.

"you should really look into hiring someone to give support on UVL"

Actually I think programmers doing support is a good thing. It probably does slow things down on the dev side, but (hopefully) it results in a better final result.

"Idea: Put all the buttons and controls into 1 BMP "

Interesting! The trick will be how to manage changes nicely; for example, when I add something new it shouldn't break old skins. I'd still make that text file that lists all the button labels, dimensions and positions in the "skin map", so repainting can be scripted.

Phil
r_knightly

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say im not a fan on the look of uvlayout, its a bit ugly but it then it doesnt get in the way at all so I dont care. The text buttons clearly convey what they do and your not relying on an artists interpretation of a function.

Some reorganisation might be nice though. I'd like to see the UI merged into 1 window
I'd also love to see a key binding editor, I love the way silo does this just mouse over something and press a key, its then assigned to the function

Just my 2 cents Smile
Nils

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:09 am    Post subject: couldn't agree more Reply with quote

First I would like to give some credit to this outstanding piece of software. It does deliver in terms of workflow.

When I read this thread though I absolutely found myself described here. The GUI of your app is really not just ugly, it says "this interface is from the stoneage, better go look for something up to date!"
The mere lack of alternatives let me come back and actually take a second look at UV layout which absolutely convinced me. However when I first came across it I was instantly driven away by the looks of it. I'm pretty sure a lot of people will go with the second best or worse and never know what they're missing. Artists are fanatic about visuals. I wouldn't underestimate that fact.
I think the Max plugin refered to is Unwrella, can I write that out here? Wink It's not even close to competing with UVLayout anyways, beacause it doesn't actually allow for any individual layout. (rather meant for texture baking) You have to admit though, those guys really understand about advertising.

This is meant as a friendly feedback, not nagging. It would be nice if the appearance of UVLayout did justice to the really great functionality, which I consider a big accomplishment. I appreciate your hard and professional work. Keep it up.
Rich-Art

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't care about the looks. It is like with the games these days.
The most look outstanding but the gameplay is very bad.
Back in the 90's there where so much great games with a super gameplay. They did not looked that fancy but who cares. For me it is all about the fun.
Ok I love a nice looking game but not with a terrible gameplay.

UVL looks outdated but the gameplay is outstanding. Wink

Peace,
Rich_Art. Wink
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"It would be nice if the appearance of UVLayout did justice ..."

Friendly feedback is always appreciated and taken on board :-)

Phil
Rich-Art

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha is that you on the left Phil. Mr. Green

Peace,
Rich_Art. Wink
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, that's you guys ... I only built it :-)

Phil
SLI_Fallen

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all in the perception, yes?

Sure, the guy is driving a bookshelf cabinet on it's side..but for all we know..he is going REALLY fast. Wink
dingenskirchen

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Phil,

any news on the GUI stuff? I really love UV layout - it´s definitely the best UV unwrapper available - but the GUI really keeps me from using it too often...

Thanks a lot,
Marco
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No improvements to the GUI yet or in the immediate future. The next "big" thing I was going to look at was multiple UV sets/layers.

Phil
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: