headus 3D tools headus 3D tools / 3D scans
Support Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
headus 3D scans

Spinning Shells on flatten

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kos

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:29 am    Post subject: Spinning Shells on flatten Reply with quote

Hi, Im using the linux version 2.04 pro and am having some trouble flattening geo.

The latest bit of geo Ive been working with is a simple 'cable' - pretty much just a scaled cube. While a good proportion of the polys are flattening out nicely, certain ones at the caps are scrunching up and it looks like in an effort to resolve them, UVL just spins the mesh around slowly!

Not sure what could cause this, but Ive tried deleting my preferences and Ive tried different bits of geo and have noticed it happens fairly regularly.

In the past Ive gotten around this in simple cases by flattening shells on a per-problem-poly basis, but obviously this isnt ideal.

Any ideas what I could be doing wrong?

Thanks in advance
Lewi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmm not sure without seeing it but check you have enough seams cut to allow the mesh to flatten, especially tube shaped shells.If you could post some pics and the problem .obj it will help.
kos

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lewi wrote:
Mmm not sure without seeing it but check you have enough seams cut to allow the mesh to flatten, especially tube shaped shells.If you could post some pics and the problem .obj it will help.

Its not a geo problem as its happened with both my and other peoples models. Ive also tried drastically increasing the number of splits to no avail.

Unfortunately the display drivers for linux wont allow me to provide you with a screen shot, but this happens with the most basic of geometry.
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Unfortunately the display drivers for linux wont allow me to provide you with a screen shot"

Tap F8 and whatever is in the 3D window should be saved out to a "snap.jpg" file in the same directory as the mesh file. This is built into UVLayout, and it uses OpenGL functions to capture the image, so it should work regardless of driver.

I also need a picture of the problem before I can make any suggestions.

Phil
kos

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, thanks for the tip on taking screenshots.
Ive included a simple example. The geo in question is a cube with one face deleted and a couple of edgeloops. You can see it in the attached image - its the base of the green shaded tube.

As you can see in the second screenshot, Ive split the geo into two shells with the cap forming the square shell. Should be simple enough, but UVL is having some problems with it.

Ive also tested this on one of my colleagues machines, but Ive had the same result.
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try using Shift-F on the shell with the red point. That'll pull everything out to a circle, and then it should relax back to the correct shape after you tap Space.

Phil
kos

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using shift-F to flatter all my shells.
In this case, after Ive pressed space for the first time the shell looks pretty good, but then it quickly gets twisted into the shape from the screenshot.
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, is there any chance you can email me a UVL file? Its still hard to see from the snapshots whats really going on there.

Phil
kos

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure...
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case anyone finds they have the same problem, we've worked out what the bug is. The geometry comes from a larger scene, and is a long way away from the origin.

The work-around is to move the objects onto the origin before sending them to UVLayout, but I hope to have a proper bug fix ready for the next release.

Phil
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: