headus 3D tools headus 3D tools / 3D scans
Support Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
headus 3D scans

UVLayout crashing after updating NVidia graphics drivers

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ju_

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:42 am    Post subject: UVLayout crashing after updating NVidia graphics drivers Reply with quote

Hello,

I just installed the latest drivers for my NVidia 8800 GTX graphics card. Ever since, UVLayout crashes upon loading any file. It doesn't come up with an error message but with the windows crash dialogue that asks if I want to send an error report.

Before I installed the new drivers it worked absolutely fine. I also tried rolling back drivers and it's working again, but unfortunately I need the latest drivers for Maya.

This is the driver causing problems:
GeForce Release 178 WHQL
Version: 178.24
Operating System: Windows XP x64, Server 2003 x64

Any ideas or suggestions?
Thanks for any help!
Julia
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you running a Dualview system? I have heard of problems before in older nvidia drivers, but couldn't ever replicate that particular problem here with up to date ones.

Another user reported recently that if they disabled thread optimization in the nvidia driver options, that would cause a UVLayout crash also when files are opened. Actually, he was doing that to get Maya working, so I'm wondering if you've done that as well?

Anyway, I'll have a play here today sometime ... see if I can get any of my nvidia systems to crash when I change settings, and then I'll hopefully be able to find a work-around.

Phil
Ju_

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Phil,

Yes that was it exactly, I did disable thread optimization. I just turned it back on to check and UVLayout is working fine now. So that's a workaround, thanks a lot.

Would you know if there is a way to fix this though? We work in Maya a lot so unfortunately need thread optimization to be turned on.
And although it's a workaround it would save our team a lot of time if we didn't have to change driver settings every time we switch between Maya and UVLayout...

Thanks again for your quick reply!
Julia
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

" I did disable thread optimization. I just turned it back on to check and UVLayout is working fine now."

"We work in Maya a lot so unfortunately need thread optimization to be turned on. "

Did you really mean "off" in that last sentence?

Anyway, its good news at least that you have a work-around, and there's two people now with the exact same problem, so I'm hoping I'll be able to get it to go wrong here too. I unfortunately didn't get around to it today, but will have a look first thing next week.

Phil
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've hit a hurdle ... the most modern nvidia card we have here is on a Vista laptop, and official drivers are released about once every ice age, so I cant get UVLayout to crash here with Threaded Optimization on or off using the current (old) driver.

See attached image ... what you should be able to do is add an exception for uvlayout so the driver handles the threaded optimization thing differently to your global setting. What you need to do is click on the "Add" then browse for the cyeatP.exe file in the UVLayout install folder, then change the threaded optimization setting in the panel below. I don't know if it'll work, but is worth a try.

Phil
paqwak

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Phil,

Thanks for tip, that's exaclty what I did, except that I have created the 'special' profile for maya, because so far it's the only software that give me problem when thread optimization is ON.

So to resume:

- Thread opimization ON by default
- Thread opimization OFF for maya

Works fine for me (Nvidia 9600GT)
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent! Thanks for the update, and fingers crossed its also going to work for Ju_.

Phil
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: