headus 3D tools headus 3D tools / 3D scans
Support Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
headus 3D scans

Feature ideas

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kfinla

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:38 pm    Post subject: Feature ideas Reply with quote

playing with the OSX demo.. it would be great if there was a feature that automatically scaled all your UV shells to be 1:1 with each other.. i've always had to do this manually by eyeballing the size of my checker pattern against the checker size in the next region.. would be a nice time saver and more accurate to just hit a button.

Would also be cool if UV packing had a switch to make it arbitrarily scale bits up and down.. perhaps based on some sort of importance tagging of shells.. so it really maximizes the UV space.. i noticed a lot of my layouts were only in the high 50% range of UV space.
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:01 am    Post subject: Re: Feature ideas Reply with quote

" a feature that automatically scaled all your UV shells to be 1:1 with each other.. "

Under the Move/Scale/Rotate panel there's the three Rescale U & V buttons. The one you probably want is the "&" one ... it rescales all shells (or all LMB selected shell) in both U and V so they're 1 to 1 scale with the surface geometry.

" i noticed a lot of my layouts were only in the high 50% range of UV space"

That'll depend a lot on the shape of your shells mainly ... if they're not rectangular, then there's always going to be some wasted white space between them, and scaling some up or down probably wont help much. If you force your shells into rectangular shapes, it will reduce the wasted pixels, but then you'll get more distortion of the applied textures.

Phil
kfinla

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:25 am    Post subject: Really enjoying it.. Reply with quote

Awesome stuff, very fast to pick up..

Some observations with the OSX demo.. Cmd+Z is probably a more instinctive undo command for mac users than ctrl-z.

I have an apple mighty mouse and found the scroll wheel over sensitive for zooming and navigating files paths. Haven't tried with my Logitech. Once had to kill the program because i got in some never ending scroll loop trying to look in a folder for an obj file.

Is there a Frame all.. command for the viewport? I worried about losing my object a few times.. again with the very sensitive zoom.

Would be cool to have object rotation in 3d and Edit views rotate around selection or what your cursor is over.. locally.. i found flying around the head of a dragon at the end of a long neck a bit tedious and awkward at times.

Is there a way to render EPS files of UV layouts?.. I see there is some sort of EPS btn.. but it is not under the Render tab which gives me a tiff file.

Also some interesting redraw things where it seems everything was magnifying, on both monitors.. Would be great if The Tool pallet could permanently hover over the viewport.

Defiantly gonna pick up the hobbyist version for OSX when it is available. -Ken
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:03 am    Post subject: Re: Really enjoying it.. Reply with quote

Hope you don't mind me splitting this out of the general wish list, but it could get lost in there!

"Cmd+Z is probably a more instinctive undo command ..."

Understood. I'll have a look at this sometime in the next day or so.

" found the scroll wheel over sensitive for zooming "

Ive just added a total disable preference, but will look at adding some sort of sensitivity setting as well.

"Is there a Frame all.. command for the viewport?"

Yes, its the Home key. Unfortunately, if you don't have a Home key (I don't on my MacBook) then there's isn't an alternative. I've been meaning to do something about that, so will!

"object rotation in 3d and Edit views rotate around selection or what your cursor is over.."

The Home key performs that function as well ... aim it at any poly, and the view will rotate about that focus point. The wheel mouse zoom also resets the rotate pivot to the polys under the mouse pointer.

"Is there a way to render EPS files of UV layouts?"

Yep, its under the Pattern tools. I've attached an example, because you wont be able to create one yourself with the Demo version.

" everything was magnifying, on both monitors.."

OK, sounds like I need to check the multiple displays code. Thamks for the bug report.

"gonna pick up the hobbyist version for OSX when it is available"

It is now :-) But I perfectly understand if you'd rather wait until I fix the above problems.

Phil
kfinla

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses Phil.

"gonna pick up the hobbyist version for OSX when it is available"

It is now Smile But I perfectly understand if you'd rather wait until I fix the above problems.

I guess it depends how patient I can be, and how fast your are Smile I'm certainly looking forward to the tweaked scroll wheel Smile PLease let me know when they are in. And if the toolbox can be locked on top of the viewport so i don't have to surrender 3 inches of screen for tool palette.

One idea I had also Smile when hand tweaking individual vertex's.. even though the colour coding is intuitive it would be cool if there was some sort of arrow (compass) that guided you to the ideal location of the vertex to minimize the distortion of the 4? polygons that vertex was a a part of. Hope that made sense. Instead of me moving the vertex in a circle to find the best result. Perhaps you have a better solution or some sort of individual vertex relax function?

I just figure hand tweaking will always be needed to resolve overlapping UV's and some areas that will just not flatten without the creation of more seams.

- Ken
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

" looking forward to the tweaked scroll wheel"

This week my diary is pretty clear, so I'm hoping to get a bunch of UVLayout things done ... I should be able to make this one of them.

As for the "always on top" GUI, I'll have a look at that too.

" some sort of individual vertex relax function? "

Have you looked at the B hotkey? If you make the brush small enough (with '-' and '=') then you should be able to get it to relax individual vertexes.

Phil
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: