headus 3D tools headus 3D tools / 3D scans
Support Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
headus 3D scans

Organic VS Non-Organic model: can i use UVLayout in both?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mack

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 7:22 pm    Post subject: Organic VS Non-Organic model: can i use UVLayout in both? Reply with quote

Hi,

First of all, i am really impressed what this application can produce. Congratulations!

I am just curious about in which circunstances must i use UVLayout. I mean, i watched the tutorials and read many posts here and i noticed people use UVLayout in ORGANIC models (not in NON-organic models, like a BOX, for example).

For example: suppose i have a PILLAR like the one in the image (any of them). Can i sue UVlayout in this case or - sorry - it doesn´t make sense to use it in NON-organic models?

Any help will be appreciated!
Cheers!

headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UVLayout was originally developed with organic shapes in mind, but I know a number of people are using it for their non-organic models as well. In particular, the edge straightening tools were added mainly to help with mechanical/hard geometry.

Maybe some forum regulars would like to add their thoughts?

Phil
ghib

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mack, I've used UVLayout on many non-organic objects while working on our current project here at Lionhead Studios. The new edge straightening tools are fantastic and really help speed things up.

An example of a non-organic object that UVLayout helped unwrap was guttering on a rooftop that went around several corners and recessed areas. Unwrapping something like this the traditional way would have needed many planar or cylindrical projections. Using this app it was a 2 minute job.

On your old damaged pillar for instance if you were to have a larger section that had the drainpipe take more bends and twists. You could very quickly unwrap it using the straighten tool.

Another tool I can't live without is the stacking tool for similar shells.. has saved my day a few times now.

Pillars, butresses, steps, railings, lamp posts etc are a little easier to unwrap and you get less distortion overall.
Mack

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much ghib, for your comments.

I am just curious how would you use these tools that you mentioned to unwrap a pillar (similar to the image i attached).

Cheers!
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without having the mesh in front of me, its hard to say exactly, but really its no different from how you flatten everything else in UVLayout. You cut it up into pieces, flatten those out, then at that point you'd probably decide which ones needed to be straightened with the various edge straightening tools. Next you'd weld some together probably to reduce the seams, then pack.

Download the demo version and give it a go!

Phil
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: