headus 3D tools headus 3D tools / 3D scans
Support Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
headus 3D scans

Can someone help me understand 0-1 tile principle

View previous topic :: View next topic  
3dcnc

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:25 am    Post subject: Can someone help me understand 0-1 tile principle Reply with quote

Hi

I am new to polygon modeling and texturing.

Most applications I come across seem to handle square texture maps ie. 256x256 , 512 x 512. up to 4k x 4k

I was wondering if someone could explain the 0-1 tile principle. Is it just to help you group shells?

If I have flattened shells placed outside the 0-1 tile, are they saved as a separate texture maps? or are they still saved together as 1 texture map.

from what I have found so far ,is that it is preferable to stay within the 0-1 tile.

Is it possible to have 1 object with 2 texture maps. ie head - texture map1 and body - texture map 2.
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Is it possible to have 1 object with 2 texture maps."

Indeed it is. In extreme cases, where you have very detailed textures for up-close film resolution output, an object may be mapped with hundreds of texture maps (i.e. tiles). The reason for this is that its more efficient for a renderer to load into RAM individual 2k or 4k maps as they are needed, rather than one single humongous map for the entire object, especially if some of that object is obscured.

I've also seen people using multiple tiles when laying out UVs for Zbrush sculpting. I don't know the exact reason for this, but I'm sure its a good one.

However there are also very good reason for keeping everything contained in the single "0-1" tile. You only have to keep track of one map for starters, plus some modeling/rendering applications may only be able to handle single tile mappings.

Phil
3dcnc

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:15 am    Post subject: objects with more than one different texture map Reply with quote

Thanks for that , Phil. I have learnt quite a bit about uv mapping from you video tutorials, there just seems to be small gaps in my (uv mapping) knowlege base that i am trying to fill.

I have just finished watching the uvlayout tutorial "Making of Jester" which has answered most of my questions, since I want to use uvlayout with Zbrush.

My understanding from this tutorial, is that the texture map in the 0-1 is tiled (repeated) in all the other "tiles" around the 0-1 space.

Does that mean you can only generate a texture template for texturing in Photoshop from the 0-1 texture tile?

In the tutorial Alex brings in each part of the model in seperatley to be flattened. My question : Is it possible to bring the whole model into uvlayout flattern all the shells and [/b]save them on "multiple different texture maps" all within the one uvlayout session.? or will I need to have seperate sessions with different texture maps?
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: objects with more than one different texture map Reply with quote

"... the texture map in the 0-1 is tiled (repeated) in all the other "tiles" around the 0-1 space."

Yes, correct. If you have polys in other tiles that are supposed to be textured with other maps, these are usually assigned to a different shader or shading group (the terminology here varies between packages). At the risk of confusing you further, you actually don't have to arrange polys into different tiles ... you could have them all overlapping in the 0-1 tile if you wish ... its just easier to see whats going on if they're arranged into the tiles.

"can only generate a texture template for texturing in Photoshop from the 0-1 texture tile?"

If you have polys arranged into multiple tiles, multiple templates will be saved out when you use UVLayout's "Render" tool.

"Is it possible to bring the whole model into uvlayout"

Indeed it is. You can load your entire model into UVLayout, cut it up and flatten the pieces to make the UV shells, then arrange those into the tiles either by hand or automatically via the Pack tool. At the end of all of that you'd then save out the OBJ to load back into your modeling application.

Phil
3dcnc

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:32 am    Post subject: Am i missing something? Reply with quote

HI Phil

"If you have polys arranged into multiple tiles, multiple templates will be saved out when you use UVLayout's "Render" tool. "

I tried with the uvlayout test file " donut object" and flattened the 2 halves . Put 1 half on the 0-1 and the other half on the 1-2 uv space. Used the render tool, but only one texture template seemed to be produced? Am i missing something?

I know this is sapposed to be basic stuff, but was there by any chance a video tutorial showing this process. ( 1 object or polymesh with 2 or more uv map tempates generated)

Mark
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Am i missing something? Reply with quote

"Put 1 half on the 0-1 and the other half on the 1-2 uv space. Used the render tool, but only one texture template seemed to be produced?"

You should be getting 2 template files ... one called layout-1001.tif and the second layout-1002.tif. Sorry, I don't have a video for that one, but maybe the image below will help.

Phil
3dcnc

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Phil

I must be doing something wrong. I only seem to be getting 1 image. I thought it might be my tile settings but I still get only 1 template.
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm ... have you checked the folder to see if the other map template is there? Normally it saves the maps into the same folder as the loaded mesh, so in this case it'll be in the UVLayout install folder, or "data" subfolder.

When the Render finishes, it only displays the first template ... you need to hit Space in the "iview" window to cycle through the other maps.

Phil
3dcnc

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:57 am    Post subject: problem solved Reply with quote

Thanks Phil

I clicked space and the other template showed up.

Mark
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magic :-) Any other "tile" questions, just let me know.

Phil
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: