headus 3D tools headus 3D tools / 3D scans
Support Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
headus 3D scans

Packing in different coordinate?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PrayingMantis

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:56 am    Post subject: Packing in different coordinate? Reply with quote

Is it possible to pack different shells in different Uv coordinate, like these examples?

Thank you.
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, thats the "Tile" setting in the Pack tool. In your top example you'd set it at 2 x 2, and the other one would be 5 x 1.

Phil
PrayingMantis

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the late answer.
I have check this feature, but I don't know if I am doing something wrong but I got a poor control about the Layout of my Uvs while doing this.
Is there a box like the packing boxes who can help me to constrain some Uvs in a specific coordinate area?
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you can use the packing boxes to keep multiple shells together. By default boxes will still "float" around when you run the pack, but you can use the curly brace keys (ie { or }) to lock a packing box into position. You can also use the L hotkey to lock an individual shell into position, then other shells will pack around that.
PrayingMantis

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it possible to ask some box to "float" only on a choosen coordinate?

It could be nice to get other boxes to let do this, the packing box to pack small pieces together, and an other box who can contain packing box and simple piece of Uvs and they would be packed considering the value you entered in the Tile menu.
Like that if you have 3 "tiling boxes", and you got a tile value of 3*1 they would be packed in these coordinate, same thing with a tile value of 2*2 but it will let an empty square.

I think that could be better than having to guess for a good place manually.
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can put smaller packing boxes inside larger boxes, so thats one of your suggestions there already. As far as the other things go though, maybe draw a diagram showing what you mean because I don't quite get what you are after.

Phil
PrayingMantis

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry If I wasn't clear enough.

Here is a little picture to represent the idea (don't care about the scale of the Uvs that's just an example).

The "Tile box" (Maybe an other word would be clearer) are slightly smaller than a Mapping Square (the red squares) to be shown, but they should be equal to 1*1.
The idea is to have other boxes where the packing is done inside of them, and after the "normal" packing is done inside these boxes, they will stick on different square depending on the values you got in Tile (the screenshot you shown before), here the value is 2*2.
These boxes work like the "green" boxes (you can put boxes inside of them, and pieces of Uvs) but their size should be fixed (1*1).
And their goal is to be stick to different mapping square.

For the moment if you are packing everything, at the end of the operation the Big red square, who represent the main mapping Square, try to fit to all the pieces.

With these boxes at the end of the packing operation every boxes will find a mapping square and will not be fitted in the main square.
Only one "Tile box" by square.
And you will ended with the other squares represented by the dotted line, and the same layout as my first example.

I hope I was clear enough Smile
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Only one "Tile box" by square. "

Got it! You want a new sort of packing box that you can throw other things into to ("tile box" is a good name!), and each one of those gets packed into a tile all by itself.

I've added it to my job tracker, so it should get done next time I look at the packing tool.

Phil
PrayingMantis

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes that's it Very Happy
Thank you Phil for taking a look at it.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: