headus 3D tools headus 3D tools / 3D scans
Support Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
headus 3D scans

Losing Materials and Grouping

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Predatron

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:04 am    Post subject: Losing Materials and Grouping Reply with quote

I've been working on an obj for a little while and have been using the update feature on a number of occasions to save my work. This has up until now saved all my material zones and groups. Then all of a sudden when I use update these are now lost and it reverts to one default group and no material zones are visible when viewing this in UVMapper Pro. I have tried deleting the updated version and starting again with the original obj, but this is still happening.
Do you know why this is?
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Do you know why this is?"

The Update will sometimes fail if the Clean load option was used. Also, if you are running a version older than v1.20.2, any polygon with more than 7 sides will be triangulated when loaded into UVLayout, and that'll break the Update. Since v1.20.2, this limit has been increased to 255 sides. UVLayout should pop up a warning when the file is loaded if any of these cases apply though.

It could also be a bug; if you don't mind me seeing your OBJ, email it over and I'll have a look.

Phil
Predatron

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Phil for replying.
For the moment I manually reassigned the materials and groups as I was needing to get this finished. I did install the latest version though and there was no polygons with more than 4 sides.
If I can this error again I'll let you know though.

Another problem I did come across, but not on this particular OBJ is sometimes I have applied UV's in Max and if these are flat planar and some of the polys are laying stacked over each other they sometimes don't load into UVlayout and I get holes appearing in the mesh. I would then have to reapply the UV's using a different setting such as cylindrical and then import into UVlayout, is this a problem you have come across?
Cheers
Steve
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

" is this a problem you have come across?"

Not myself, but I mostly load things into UVLayout with New selected.

Send me an example next time you come across the problem and I'll have a look at it.

Phil
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: