headus 3D tools headus 3D tools / 3D scans
Support Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
headus 3D scans

extension of green balance?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ghib

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 3:59 am    Post subject: extension of green balance? Reply with quote

Hi Phil,

Finally got around to buying that dongle license, will definately make life much easier when I begin using xsi at my new job.

Anyway, I love that you've included the green balance function ,will be very useful but it got me thinking. That you will normally be using the green balance on minority shells, what do you think about adding a hotkey that could automate the process. So instead of locking everything that you won't be working on you could, for example, just hit 'g' (currently set to green picker) and it will flatten the shell on a local level. Then you could choose to lock it and run the optimise on the rest of the shells. I think this would make for a much faster workflow.

Just a thought.

Thanks for listening Smile

p.s. also love the addition of shift + mmb outside the shell. Any news on whether selecting multiple shells for transforming & other functions is on the cards in the near future.
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: extension of green balance? Reply with quote

just hit 'g' (currently set to green picker) and it will flatten the shell on a local level.
I had played with the idea that the green balance would sort of "stick" to unlock shells. If done like that you wouldn't have to keep locking/unlocking/green-balancing shells all the time, you'd just set up your intended pixel densities at the start pretty much.

But I wanted to get v1.19.3 out the door because it included an important bug fix (i.e. fatal error when run under AMD 64 Vista), so it was probably a premature birth for the green balance tool ... you'll see I even forgot to included it in the User Guide (since fixed in the online version).

Any news on whether selecting multiple shells for transforming
Yep, still very much at the top of the list.

Phil
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both these are now available in v1.20. See this posting for details ...

http://www.headus.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=392

Phil
ghib

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah the 'local' method of greenbalance works really well and is more powerful than simply having it assigned to a hotkey. Using a hotkey would only work if the shell would remain separate. Good stuff on the latest .20 I've integrated UVLayout into my xsi workflow with the aid of a few scripts for turning uv shells into clusters (necessary for easy assignment of textures) Life suddenly got a little easier Very Happy

p.s. Awesome job with selecting multiple shells, is simple and effective. The only niggle I have is that turning the wireframe green is a little difficult to tell (at a glance) which shells are selected.. but that's a purely cosmetic thing.
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someday I hope to add a preferences thing for the various colors used in UVLayout. But like you said, its purely cosmetic, so sort of gets lower priority that other things at the moment.

Phil
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: