headus 3D tools headus 3D tools / 3D scans
Support Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
headus 3D scans

Under what circumstances will a CUT seam not (re)WELD? +???s

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dlfurman

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 9:38 am    Post subject: Under what circumstances will a CUT seam not (re)WELD? +???s Reply with quote

First of all thank you Paul Dench.

I was able to make symmetric a mesh that really needed it (and I was tired of counting lines and vertices to match my painting on the UV Map)

My current project is to remap an older Zygote mesh (The Heroine based on the Poser 4 Female). After several fits and starts, I am making progress.

I made cuts/darts to help the flattening process for the boots the character wears, but decided to separate out some of the geometry. Some of the cuts re-welded and others just give me the red line of doom (Hey! New jargon for UVLayout!)
Help! How can I get those areas re-welded?

I also noticed that once symmetrical shells, do not remain so. They have the light/dark split, but the "click on light side, tap 's' " gives me this error message: "Can only copy UVs between symmetrical shells."
G-painting works, though.This even after re-flattening.

I have another question, but I'm gonna need screenshots for that one.

I'm using the new beta (1.19.2) if this helps any. Thanks again!
moochie

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll only ever get a red line on an edge if there exists an edge for it to weld to. This could be on a separate shell or the same shell. If you've been cutting and welding darts, then you're used to using the 'W' command to weld. Maybe you weren't aware that pre-weld edges (the red lines) are joined by hitting 'Enter' with your cursor over one of the lit edges? If you have one red edge and can't quickly see the other, hit 'M' to snap the two pieces into position.

The only line colour you ever need to worry about is blue. Blue denotes an outside, unconnected edge on the model itself. No problems if it is supposed to be an outside edge, but I have occasionally seen this in the middle of a model. This happens when the model was badly built with one or more disconnected vertices. The only cure is to mend the model in your modelling app.

Some Zygote models do, indeed, have disconnected vertices in places, or superfluous 'floating' vertices. These are a major issue because removing them destroys the vert count and, hence, any morph targets. This can also result in asymmetrical meshes. I don't know the model whereof you speaketh, but this could be the issue here.

ps. Who's Paul Dench? Wink
dlfurman

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotcha! Now a new question about these Red (not dark red) Regions. I have seen in the videos how the W/M works.

I started over (great learning lesson these last few days!) and now another question.

What about the ""Regions have unmatched flipping" error?

I welded seams that split a boot mesh in two (on the sides_ and cut a new seam so that there is only one seam (in the back). I'd like to have the two pieces back into one so I can re-flatten, but I get the above message.

Help again!
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 11:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Under what circumstances will a CUT seam not (re)WELD? + Reply with quote

Sorry, missed this posting first time round ... thanks to moochie for picking up the slack!

First of all thank you Paul Dench.
Thats my Dad, so I guess you could say he is responsible in a way :-)

Help! How can I get those areas re-welded?
Just like moocie said, red edges are tagged only, and you have to hit Enter one one of the shells to weld those edges together. If you hit W and get a yellow edge, that indicates that the pair edge belongs to some geometry still in "Ed" space that hasnt been flattened yet.

... but the "click on light side, tap 's' " gives me this error message: "Can only copy UVs between symmetrical shells."
OK, try re-running the Symmetry Find on that shell; if there's any inconsistencys between the light and dark sides, they should show up as yellow polys. It might be that during your editing something has gotten out of sync?

Phil
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: