headus 3D tools headus 3D tools / 3D scans
Support Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
headus 3D scans

Small Video Tutorial

View previous topic :: View next topic  
moochie

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 2:16 pm    Post subject: Small Video Tutorial Reply with quote

Someone on another forum (Renderosity) was having difficulty mapping a cube in another uv program, because the cube was rotated at an odd angle. I created this short vid to show how Layout makes short work of not one, but two twisted and over-lapping cubes. Unfortunately, I keep referring to the cubes as 'spheres', but that's because (a) I'm dim and (b) I've been using ZBrush a lot recently, and I have ZSpheres on the brain!

http://www.pantsofpower.com/boxes.avi 16mb avi, TechSmith codec. RC > save as or LC and wait.
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing the video, and putting a voice to the login name! I must say I found it very interesting to see someone else using UVLayout. Here's my own attempt at flattening a cube (1.5Mb Quicktime), using some short cuts you might find useful ...

http://www.headus.com.au/doc/uvlayout/videos/UVLayout-Speed-Cube.mov

- Used G painting to detach that first face ... sometimes quicker than C edge tagging. On bigger meshes you can also aim the mouse pointer at clear space, then hit G to bring up the marking menu, then F to select all polys facing forward. Doesn't work on that small cube though.

- C tagged the other split edges without changing the view; you can pick edges from the inside of a mesh if you want.

- You don't need to point at the red weld edge when M hotkey snapping shells together; just pointing somewhere in the shell is enough. You can also use Shift-M to snap the other shell to the picked one. This saves you from having to zoom out and find the other shell that you want to weld to the one you're working on.

- Used Ctrl-Up-Arrow on an edge in the final flattened shell to align it vertically.

Phil

Last edited by headus on Mon May 07, 2007 11:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
moochie

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes .. much more elegant. Ctrl+ Up arrow is a new one on me .. that's a keeper!
Rich-Art

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Nice little tutorial Moochie.
I see you use C4D as well. Great to see there are more C4D users that use UV-Layout.
You have a nice voice to listen at.

Peace,
Rich_Art. Wink
Lewi

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice videos guys Very Happy .Moochie you know if you look in your UV Layout Folder in Program Files there is the Keyboard and Mouse viewer application that Phil uses in his vids. I think you can use it for tutorial videos if you own UVLayout. Is that right Phil ?
One small thing about it though, I haven't sussed a way to close it with out going through the task manager. Embarassed lol. Its a fantastic little app for teaching hotkeys and workflow though showing all three mouse presses and key combos with modifiers.
moochie

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lewi .. thanks! That's brilliant! Esc seems to close the app ok. What a great find .. I assumed the mouse/keystrokes viewer was part of the screen capture program.

In case this is an unsupported feature, or one Phil didn't intend making public, I won't name the element that makes this work. But it's uber-cool!

Later: omg, Phil .. that little utility is a work of genius. Please, can you tell me what I'm allowed to use it for, in terms of creating screen-capture tutorials? I do ZBrush tuts, and this would be such a benefit appearing on screen. Is its use included in my dongle licence? Cheers!
Lewi

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esc , thought I'd tried that lol. I stumbled across it by accident but there is a post on the forum somewhere mentioning its usage and terms. I think a forum member requested info on the app and its availability after seeing it in the tut vids, and it turned out Phil had made it specifically for the videos. It then became part of the beta download from then on but its not documented as far as I have seen. I just clicked it out of curiosity one day and what a great suprise.
moochie

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah .. v1.11 .. Phil wrote "- includes the "kbstate" application used when recording the videos
(see keyboard/mouse feedback at top of screen) . This isn't
required for the normal functioning of UVLayout, but someone wanted
to use it for their own videos, so here it is! Note: kbstate will
only run if you have a current UVLayout license."

So really the only unanswered question is .. can I use it in non-commercial video tuts for other software too? No worries if not .. would be darned handy, though. You can count on a handsome credit and exposure to a new market. Very Happy
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use of the kbstate program is under the same restrictions as UVLayout itself; if you've purchased a license, you can use it however you want! The current beta users can do that too. The only future restriction will be on Student licenses, which are non-commercial only.

Oh, and yes, ESC is the only way to kill it. And there's some command line args you might want to play with ... open up a command shell and run "kbstate -h" to see what those are. Note: default decay time is "500".

Phil
moochie

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful .. thanks! You should have a chat with TechSmith .. maybe you could licence the idea behind kbstate to them for inclusion in Camtasia? I don't know anything about the technical issues, but the concept is a perfect fit. (cough*10%*cough). Very Happy
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like they're probably already working on something for an upcoming release ...

http://forums.techsmith.com/showthread.php?t=3319

Actually, I was surprised they didn't have something already to do it.

Phil
moochie

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that thread was over a year old. Can't hurt to make contact with them. Kerrr-ching!
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, yes, I might just do that!

Phil
Ganapoes

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes .. much more elegant. Ctrl+ Up arrow is a new one on me .. that's a keeper!
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: