headus 3D tools headus 3D tools / 3D scans
Support Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
headus 3D scans

What to do if OBJ Already Has UV Layout

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dude5487

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:16 am    Post subject: What to do if OBJ Already Has UV Layout Reply with quote

Hi all. What steps would I need to take if my object already has a UV Layout?

I have tried using the C key to cut a new seem but nothing happens.

I am new to the app and to these forums. I look forward to any response and hope to get to know all of you here.

Thanks!

Josh
moochie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. Well, assuming you used the 'Edit' option when loading your model into Layout, all of the existing UV mapping will now show when you press 'U', which takes you into the actual UV section of Layout.

When cutting new seams in the UV window, there are several differences from cutting seams on a model where UV mapping hasn't yet been applied. For instance, in the 'E' (Edit) window, which is for unmapped portions of a mesh, you can cut along any edge, with cuts extending up to 10 edges in both directions. In both the 'U' and '3' windows you can only cut one edge at a time, and all cuts have to start from a previously cut edge (ie you can't start a cut in the middle of the mesh).

This means that if you want to isolate and cut out a part in the middle of the mesh in the 'U' window, you need to cut in from the outer edge first. You can always seal up that starting split using the 'W' (weld) key once you've isolated the central section.

Have a play on some low-poly meshes and check out Phil's videos and you'll soon get the hang of it.
dude5487

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:06 pm    Post subject: Thank you Reply with quote

Thank you for the response. I will take a look at what you have mentioned when I get home tonight. Thanks again!
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moochie wrote:
This means that if you want to isolate and cut out a part in the middle of the mesh in the 'U' window, you need to cut in from the outer edge first.

You should have a look at the G hotkey ... you can paint/mark polys in the middle of a shell, then hit Enter on those to detach that piece. You can also G paint the boundary, then double-G to fill the inside (make sure you don't leave any gaps!). Works in both the Ed and UV views. You can see this in operation in the v1.15A movie.

Phil
dude5487

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:35 am    Post subject: I am having no luck Reply with quote

I am having no luck. I loaded up an object exported from ZBrush, anything that comes from ZBrush that was made with ZSphere has a UV Layout already. So I loaded up my mesh and it is green all over. I take the uv's going around the arm the connect to the torso and go over all of them pressing W, the same with then and of the arm and the hand. I then hit enter with my mouse of that section and hold space and MMB to drag away but nothing happens.

All of the videos are very informative though I watched them all again and see nothing that has to do with this type of workflow.

What I have noticed is that if I go to areas that have no green and hit c with my mouse where a cut should be a new green line appears. Am I making progress here?

Has anyone else gone from ZBrush to here? If so what did you have to do?

Thanks!
dude5487

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:41 am    Post subject: Ok I got it Reply with quote

I think I have it now. I didnt see this before but when I loaded it up again i saw the option for new. I should be fine now. Thanks!
moochie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of green lines means the uv map is split already. This will happen with ZBrush models, if they're mapped using the GUV or AUV tile method. If you've ever exported a mapped texture from ZBrush, you'll notice the map is split into many small rectangles. It's a highly efficient method of flattening the mesh, but is only of use if you're painting the texture in ZB.

As you've discovered, 'new' will remove the current mapping. An alternative is to select 'edit', but also the 'weld' option on import into Layout. In most cases, though, it makes more sense to start from scratch.
dude5487

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:52 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thank you for your response. I agree it is a very efficient method and I have figured out how to use UVLayout to its potential then my initial thread here Smile.

Thanks again!
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: