headus 3D tools headus 3D tools / 3D scans
Support Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
headus 3D scans

Is there anything lisence wise that will work for me?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rickymaveety

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like as good a place as any to post my question. I'm very likely going to purchase UV Layout in the next day or two, to take advantage of the pre release discount.

I too think the manner of licensing is major overkill, I've bought a lot of software over the years, and most just give you a key and you keep the key with the CD, and if the system blows up (which mine has done more than once), you pull out the CD and the key and you reinstall.

So, I'm trying to decide which of the overkill licenses would be best for me. Clearly, I want something that I don't have renew every year ... that would be cost prohibitive since I am only a hobbiest and everything I produce is for free distribution. Also, a "dongle" (whatever that is .... never heard of it) may not be a good idea for me since it will very likely get lost or eaten by one of the cats, and while I model and texture on several computers, I can always wait until I'm back at my main PC to flatten the UVs.

So, I guess I am just going to need the ether lock lisence? Am I correct in thinking that I will only need to keep my current ethernet card if I get a new PC?? My only question is, what happens if my ethernet card goes blooey?? Am I SOL and have to buy the software again? Not that ethernet cards fail a lot ... but with my luck it would happen.

Essentially, I would like whatever will allow me to use the program from here to doomsday, on one computer, allowing for the occasional hardware update, and not having anything extraneous that can be (1) lost or (2) eaten by the cats (I'm not kidding about the cats ... there are 16 of them here and they will turn anything they can into a play toy).

Is there anything lisence wise that will work for me?? (She said hopefully ....)
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rickymaveety wrote:
... I'm very likely going to purchase UV Layout in the next day or two, to take advantage of the pre release discount.

There's no need to panic! I'll email everyone on the forum 30days before the official release, which is when the discount expires.

My recommendation would have been the USB dongle (you can see a picture of one at www.uvlayout.com/hasp) but they possibly are chewable by curious cats, so in that case your only other option really is the Ether license.

My plan is to make the licensing less fascist, but that wont happen before the official release. So what I'll do is allow anyone with an existing Ether license to switch to a Serial Number license if they want, for no charge, as soon as they become available.

I cant give a date when thats going to happen, but I know I need to do it at some point if I want to make it easier for people to buy UVLayout, so it should happen sometime in the first half of this year.

Phil
bolba

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My plan is to make the licensing less fascist, but that wont happen before the official release. So what I'll do is allow anyone with an existing Ether license to switch to a Serial Number license if they want, for no charge, as soon as they become available.

This is awesome. If you will make some "less fascist" changes to license - I will buy UVLayout for sure Smile USB dongle is not an option for me. Because of additional costs and some problems I will have to get it in my country.
rickymaveety

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THANK YOU!!!

The link to the dongle came up with a 404 error, but the sad truth is, unless it's larger (and heavier) than your average coffee cup, my cats will make off with it.

My RAZR cell phone .... gone, my emergency car keys .... gone, most of my sunglasses ... gone. I know when I find them, they will be chewed and peed on beyond all usefulness.

So, I thank you from the bottom of my little heart, both for making it possible to get this great program at a discount AND even better, for going with serial number lisences (even if it is after release .... I don't care .... it's WONDERFUL!!)

(Happy little dance of joy, and off to walk the dogs ... yes, I have dogs too)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: