headus 3D tools headus 3D tools / 3D scans
Support Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
headus 3D scans

VPN Issue

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dodger

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:31 pm    Post subject: VPN Issue Reply with quote

Two things I noticed a few months ago and meant to submit but spaced...

1) The etherID doesn't work without an *active* net connection. Any way to make it do so?

Consider the scenario. You're sitting on Transperth and have a half hour out to Bassendean, so you figure you'll get a bit of UV modelling done. You flip open your laptop for which you've purchased a licence (you didn't buy a dongle licence because you have no need to run the software on a different box -- at home, you prefer to run UVL on the laptop while running Max on the desktop at the same time, or perhaps you do your modelling on a Mac in lightwave, and have a shared folder that you store verything in, so it's more practical to do it like this) but, oops, you're not online so you can't use the software. A bit silly that it doesn't work just because you're on the train. Might as well be running a Jva web app at that point.

2) You're running UVLayout, working on a project. You need to check your work outlook. You launch the Contivity VPN app, pull out your magic decoder keyring (aka RSA SecureID passcode generator) which generates a new six-digit number every minute, log in and start the VPN. (This is how I log in to work for real.)

Except now that you've logged in, your VPN controller is emulating a virtual network card to guaranty everything is SSH tunnelled and blammo, UVLayout crashes with a belch because the network card is suddenly reported as different, and all the work you did so far is totally gone.

Yes, both of these scenarios have happened while I was testing things out (except that I was on BART down to San Francisco, not Transperth out to Bassendean). As a result, though I love the software (and have contributed to the possibility of the sale of some floating licences to the Academy of Art University by adding my recommendation to such which was already being considered), I'm very dubious of the EtherID licencing scenario, especially when combined with the possibility of a network card burning out, etc.
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: VPN Issue Reply with quote

Dodger wrote:
... I'm very dubious of the EtherID licencing scenario, especially when combined with the possibility of a network card burning out, etc.

That's why we recommend the dongle option. Its no extra money for us because the $100 additional is what we pay for the dongles from our supplier and FedEx shipping to you, so I'm not recommending it to make myself rich. I know some people don't like dongles either, so I do plan to have a look at the whole licensing thing some day, but for now its either ether IDs or the dongle.

Regarding the ether id on laptops thing, take a look at the "Keep Alive" option, described on this page ...

http://www.uvlayout.com/keys/

Phil
Dodger

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would there be any possibility of an upgrade-to-dongle price, if we get the NIC-locked version and then decide we need the dongle?

Also, are the dongles you're using throughput ones, or terminators? I.e., can we plug something else into the back of it? I've only got 3 USB ports on my Thinkpad.
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about the delay in replying! Somehow I missed this posting ...

Dodger wrote:
Would there be any possibility of an upgrade-to-dongle price, if we get the NIC-locked version and then decide we need the dongle?

Yes, no problems, as long as you opt for the 6monthly ether licenses. Oh, and the cost to upgrade would be $100 (the difference between the Ether and Dongle licenses).

Quote:
Also, are the dongles you're using throughput ones, or terminators?

They're USB, so are terminators only.

Phil
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: