headus 3D tools headus 3D tools / 3D scans
Support Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
headus 3D scans

What happens if I have to change my network card

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hypervox

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:32 am    Post subject: What happens if I have to change my network card Reply with quote

Very interesting program you have here! Wink

Two questions....

1. Are you still headnig for an october release (just trying to see how much time I've got to save up before the beta program expires....)

2. For an ether license, what happens if I have to change my network card - does that mean that I would have to pay for a new license, or would you just generate a new key for me?
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hypervox wrote:
... Are you still headnig for an october release

Yes, that's still the plan. I've just finished v1.14 ... fixed a bunch of bugs ... so now I can start work on the Undo.

Quote:
For an ether license, what happens if I have to change my network card - does that mean that I would have to pay for a new license...

Yes. I'd recommend getting the Dongle license if you expect to be upgrading your hardware any time soon; it'll allow you to run UVLayout on any PC, as long as it has a spare USB port.

Phil
Dodger

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More seriously than the whole 'expecting to upgrade' scenario:

What if we buy an ether ID licence and then at some point our network card becomes unexpectedly damaged necessitating the purchase of a new one?

I.e. what if we accidentally fry our network card--it happens sometimes. It'd be a little more than unfair to try and charge a paying customer for a whole new licence and profiteer off the potential for hardware failure, so I'm sure you wouldn't do that, but what are you going to do instead?
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dodger wrote:
. what if we accidentally fry our network card--

Insurance is a good way to cover yourself in case of accidental damage. Add the price of a new UVLayout ether license to the cost of replacement of that PC, then if the whole thing gets zapped, you won't be out of pocket.

Phil
Dodger

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*L* Have Aussies started insuring their home computers now?

Yanks haven't. Not any I know of anyway.
Especially when the NIC replacement only costs $20 USD or even less if you're not playing games and stuff.

Big companies have insurance policies on their big expensive systems, yeah, but most of us aren't running the latest Sun workstations--just boxes we slap together ourselves or pick up from the shop. It's the software that's expensive, not the hardware particularly. Even Apples are getting cheap.

'Course, I reckon it should be possible to nick the NIC ID and make the new one (or an emulator) spoof it, if all else fails. That can usually even be read off a fried NIC.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: