headus 3D tools headus 3D tools / 3D scans
Support Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
headus 3D scans

Handle and/or assign material groups

View previous topic :: View next topic  
moochie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 5:57 pm    Post subject: Handle and/or assign material groups Reply with quote

15.1 is working like a dream. Of all the enhancements I think the new Shift+F is best as it gives so much extra control over the mesh. Good work, citizen!

Okies .. had a few ideas, based purely on my own workflow. Typically this involves C4D, ZBrush and Poser and a host of (currently) necessary apps. It'd be wonderful if Layout could replace UV Mapper and PHI Builder, as I only use them for a handful of tasks which Layout can't do at present. So:-
* I use Mapper to assign Groups and Material zones, which appear in Poser as 'actors' (body parts) and materials respectively. The ability to select and name both in Layout would be awesome.
* The other thing Mapper does really well is the template output .. size up to 4028x4028, nice crisp edges, colour coding and all that.
* Phi Builder is a simple app for arranging the hierarchy of parts of an obj (the 'groups' from Mapper), setting the rotation orders for each part and creating IK chains. The resulting Phi file (a basic text file) can then be loaded in Poser, it references the obj in the Poser Runtime > Geometries folder and builds the model for you. I realise this is departing somewhat from uv's, but if you don't ask ...

* yesterday I was mapping some individually modeled eyelashes. There were hundreds of the buggers. After dropping them into UV space, I then had to 'F' each one before I could run the optimise routine. Took ages .. then I realised all of the lashes were dark blue. Shift+F'ing each one gave me nice smooth uv's, but the whole process took over an hour, hitting each one, scrolling sideways to find the next etc. Any chance of a facility to mass convert 'just dropped' multiple objects, please? Ideally like the Optimise function, but avoiding the need to 'enliven' each part first, and incorporating the Shift+F effect. So the workflow would be drop the parts to UV space > hit the new multi-relax button > as each part appears the part is blown up (as per Shift+F) > the user hits space twice > next bit is selected automatically and starts blowing up etc etc. Hope that makes sense.

Thanks for listening. Sorry I haven't ordered my dongle yet .. damn Maxon and their enticing (but expensive) v10 upgrade. Next month, I promises.
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moochie wrote:
... I realise this is departing somewhat from uv's, but if you don't ask ...

Exactly :-) But as you say, its not really uvs, so wont be high on my "to do" list. Some handling of groups could be on the cards though, because a number of people have requested that uvlayout recognize groups on import so they can be detached automatically.

Quote:
... individually modeled eyelashes.

Ha! I'm working on something very similar for someone else right now ... hair modeled as many individual ribbons. The main problem is yet another OBJ import bug, but I was also thinking of a shortcut for flattening out these sorts of things.

Quote:
Sorry I haven't ordered my dongle yet ..

No problems ... I'm aiming for a December/January official release, so you've got at least a couple more months of free betas to look forward to.

Phil
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: