headus 3D tools headus 3D tools / 3D scans
Support Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
headus 3D scans

Current Bug/Wish List
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xena

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow!

Now this is why I tell everyone to come buy UVLayout .... the program rocks and the service is awesome Very Happy
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I've been a bit slack on UVLayout development recently ... been doing a spring clean of my whole development setup (switched from old linux workstation and sgi server to brand spanking new linux workstation and server).

I didnt quite get that other thing finished, so expect a proper v1.14.2 release next week. But I did promise something for today, so go to www.uvlayout.com/try for an "unstable" v1.14.2 installer. I called it that on the download page to discourage people from installing it because I havent had a chance to properly test it ... it may be perfect stable, so don't let that stop you guys from trying it :-) If it is broken, just uninstall it and reload v1.14.1 to get back to where you were.

Anyway, if you do install v1.14.2, the "Snap/Stack" panel has change slightly. To achieve the thing you want, arrange the two shells side by side, flip one of them with the left or right arrow key, 's' tag the pair of symmetry points (no change there from before), but instead of clicking on "Avg" for average, click the "1st" button; that'll change the shape of the right shell(s) boundary to match the boundary of the first/left shell.

With single shells and symmetry, you now also have the choice of "Avg" for the old method, or "L" or "R" to mirror the left or right boundary shape over to the other side.

Hope you can work it out from those directions ... I'll do a video showing how its used when I do the proper v1.14.2 release next week.

Phil
Littlefox

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh cool ! Thanks much!!!!!!
Xena

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What she said Wink
moochie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That certainly will be useful.

Don't know if others would find the following useful (if not, please ignore), but I've found with denser meshes, it can be difficult to find corresponding verts/edges when they're away from the boundary. I realise there are work-arounds, but I was wondering if it might be possible to have a key which just colours an edge, and has no other function. 'H' for hi-light, maybe? I've found myself drawing little poly diagrams on a piece of paper so I can find corresponding parts when moving from UV view to 3D view.

Quick question about test textures in 3D view .. I can only get 2 textures to show using the G key, plus the coloured 'stress' polygon view. You cycle through several textures in your videos. How do I do that, please? I added a texture of my own (had to restart UVL to make it apply), but it over-wrote one of the default textures, instead of adding an extra texture to the G cycle. I'm sure it's me being stoopid.

Finally .. slight niggle .. I find Shift+P a really difficult keystroke. I'm right handed, which means I'm hiding the target keys with my left hand (it's bloomin' awkward, too), or I have to let go of my mouse and do it right handed (or use the Shift key on the left side of the keyboard and hit the P with my right hand). Maybe you're planning editable hot-keys?

On denser sections of mesh, if I decide to Shift+F, the mesh doesn't always totally relax all the way to the centre, before starting to sort itself out. Usually results in nasty bits of twisted uv's. I've found that using Shift+F several times in a row often sorts this out .. but I wondered if it might be possible to hold down, say, Shift+F until the mesh has totally expanded and relaxed, then releasing the keys would start the normal compression routine?

Another thing that would be handy (and hopefully easy to impliment) would be the ability to select an odd shape which is part of a larger connected map, and then rotate it (without having to cut it away, rotate, then stitch it back into place). I've found arms and stuff that sticks out can have a blue stretched area on one side and red compressed on the other, and UVL does eventually straighten things out. But if I could just 'paint' (or lasso) the sticky-out bit, rotate just the selected part, then continue flattening, it would speed things up dramatically.

Anyway, still totally loving this program. Dongle order to follow when I get paid at the end of the month. Very Happy
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

moochie wrote:
... possible to have a key which just colours an edge ...

Easy to program, but its getting hard to find a spare hotkey :-) So would a poly highlight hotkey work for you, rather than an edge highlight? I need to add something like that anyway ... a number of people have asked for a poly select for detaching shells, as an alternative to the edge loop select ... so I might be able to satisfy both requests with one hotkey.

Quote:
.. I can only get 2 textures to show using the G key, plus the coloured 'stress' polygon view. You cycle through several textures in your videos. How do I do that, please?

Which video is that? I'm pretty sure its never been able to do more than the 3 (ie error color code, check grid, and 1 texture map). Would you like to have more?

Quote:
.. I find Shift+P a really difficult keystroke.

Yes, me too, but its hard to know what to change it to. Actually, I just changed it so that a quick double-p does the same thing as a Shift-P. You'll get that in the next release, hopefully sometime later this week.

We do have editable hotkeys on the list, but its a fair way down.

Quote:
... but I wondered if it might be possible to hold down, say, Shift+F until the mesh has totally expanded and relaxed ...

Or how about Shift-F to get it going, then one space to begin the shrink, then a second space to stop the flattening?

Quote:
.... But if I could just 'paint' (or lasso) the sticky-out bit, rotate just the selected part, then continue flattening, it would speed things up dramatically.

See above about hotkey to tag polys ... once I get that going, a bunch of things like this could tap into that I think.

Thanks for all the suggestions! They're all good, and some are pretty easy once I sort out which hotkey to assign them to.

Phil
moochie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

headus wrote:
1.would a poly highlight hotkey work for you, rather than an edge highlight?

2.Which video is that? I'm pretty sure its never been able to do more than the 3 (ie error color code, check grid, and 1 texture map). Would you like to have more?

3.I just changed it so that a quick double-p does the same thing as a Shift-P. You'll get that in the next release, hopefully sometime later this week.

4.We do have editable hotkeys on the list, but its a fair way down.

5.Or how about Shift-F to get it going, then one space to begin the shrink, then a second space to stop the flattening?

6.See above about hotkey to tag polys ... once I get that going, a bunch of things like this could tap into that I think.

7.Thanks for all the suggestions! They're all good, and some are pretty easy once I sort out which hotkey to assign them to.

1. absolutely!
2. most of the videos .. you hit G and the check grids (grey scale and coloured number grids) seem to tile, so getting smaller and repeating over the model. When I hit G, the texture just cycles through the 3 views (numbers, grey scale, stress). Maybe I need to be hitting double-G? Would I like to have more? Yes, please!
3. double-p sounds like an excellent alternative.
4. okies.
5. another excellent idea.
6. very cool.
7. like everyone else, I'm very impressed at your openness to suggestions. Some programmers are very precious about their creations and don't take kindly to even well-meaning input. Breath of fresh air, mate.
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

moochie wrote:
... When I hit G, the texture just cycles through the 3 views (numbers, grey scale, stress).

Correct, thats whats supposed to happen. But maybe you're actually talking about the texture scale? Use '-' and '=' to scale the checker grid and texture up or down.

Quote:
... your openness to suggestions..

Yes, I'm always open ... just can't guarantee I'll implement them all though :-)

Phil
moochie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scale, eh? That looks like the fellah. I'm glad we had this little chat. Now, stop messing about on the internet and get back to work. Wink
lemo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Due to the fact that this is a wish list.... I'd like to wish the Headus UV Team a Happy Holiday and a smashing 2007!!!
Lemo
moochie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh, me too. And can you please ensure this is implemented by the 25th. Happy hols. Very Happy
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And thank you all for the feedback and beta testing over this last year! I look back and wonder how come the year has gone by and UVLayout still isn't released, but its a much better product now than it was 12 months ago, so I must have done some work right :-)

Officially I'm on holidays for the next couple of weeks, but I'll be checking email if anyone needs beta licenses over that time.

Cheers,

Phil
moochie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A small request (if you're still making a list) .. can saving a uvl include any graphic loaded as a b/g stencil, please? With previously selected transparency settings too, if poss? It would only save a few seconds, and I appreciate flattened pieces stay in the correct location relative to the b/g. It would be helpful, though.

Incidentally, were you aware that tif's load as negative images? It's actually quite a cool effect, but I assume it isn't deliberate. Update on this: I saved the tif in Paintshop Pro. When opening the tif in PS Elements, I get a message saying it was saved in an 'unsupported colour mode' and asks if I want to convert to RGB etc. Never seen that before .. so problem probably lies with Paintshop Pro rather than Layout. I'll investigate further when I get a chance.
KIP

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In "Auto Layout", is the performances as better as the next plug-ins?
I end without buying LightWave if it is so.

http://homepage2.nifty.com/nif-hp/lw_plugin/align_chart_dir_abs_english.htm
http://homepage2.nifty.com/nif-hp/lw_plugin/pack_uv_chart_abs_english.htm
headus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In "Auto Layout", is the performances as better as the next plug-ins?
Don't know because I haven't written it yet. Stay tuned!

Phil
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 9 of 11

Jump to: